Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer Nature Study: Mosquito Study


We are participating in the Summer Nature Study; Using Your Senses: Nature Study at Sundown written by: Barbara McCoy.

Due to vacations, out of town business trips and overall summer fun our progress with the Summer Nature Study is slow, but steady. I find this approach to our studies for the summer is one that encourages a true sense to learn.

A fascination for mosquitoes has developed as we've grown to learn the complexities in how they breed and exist. After I was bitten by a mosquito on Wednesday evening it was with exuberance that my daughter exclaimed, "A female bit you, a female bit you."

Resources for this study include: The Handbook of Nature Study, Discover Nature at Sundown and Summer Nature Study .




7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by our page - I do love the ease of the summer. I was writing more "report" style until the summer - and we threw in family fun and letting the boys have their weirdo voices, instead of my mom voice. I can't tell you how much more fun I've had letting them tell a story about our learning. :) Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Did you do that mosquito portrait?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having fun in our Nature Study Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome. My little one and I loved your video and pictures. It was great to see the little menaces up close like that. WONDERFUL! and thank you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not Susan, That was a part of the study that Barbara McCoy wrote. I am learning a lot from her blog and resources!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer,

    Great study...love that your daughter connected the info with real life. I know you think you are slow and steady but that is a positive thing in my book...keep it up.

    Thanks for sharing your link,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete